English for Academic Purposes Certificate & Pathway
The English for Academic Purposes Program (EAP) is designed for intermediate to advanced English students who want to develop their academic reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills in pursuing higher education. The English for Academic Purposes program is divided into 4 levels: 4 (Elementary), 5 (Intermediate), 6 (Upper-intermediate), and 7 (Advanced). Each level runs for 8 weeks. Students will enter into the appropriate level based on their entrance English placement test results. During the program, regular tests will be conducted to ensure students’ understanding of the materials and progress to the next level.
The purpose of the English for Academic Purposes Program (EAP) is to equip students with academic English language skills and the confidence to excel in the Canadian higher education environment.
Upon successful completion of level 7, students will be able to continue their studies in post-secondary institutions without the need to provide an English test result (e.g. IELTS).
Create Career College (CCC) is partnering with Lakeland College in Alberta. Students successfully completed level 6 of the English for Academic Purposes Program can directly enroll in Lakeland College’s academic programs.
EAP Program Length
Upon successful completion of level 4, students’ English proficiency is equivalent to IELTS 4.0
Upon successful completion of level 5, students’ English proficiency is equivalent to IELTS 5.0
Upon successful completion of level 6, students’ English proficiency is equivalent to IELTS 6.0
Upon successful completion of level 7, students’ English proficiency is equivalent to IELTS 6.5
Overall duration may vary based on each student’s level at the start and their progress.
Upon completion of this course, the successful student will have reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Apply various academic skills such as setting goals, studying independently, critical thinking, and avoiding plagiarism.
- Use a range of academic language and grammatical structures in academic contexts in order to produce written and spoken language with minimal errors.
- Apply listening and reading strategies in order to use note-taking skills, recognize main ideas and specific details, recognize text organization, and think critically about various academic topics in a variety of genres.
- Apply various speaking techniques in order to participate in academic situations such as expressing an opinion, using conversation skills such as turn-taking, and logically designing presentations and summarizing academic content.
- Apply various writing techniques in order to logically organize ideas in paragraphs, opinion, and compare/contrast essays, and express them clearly in an academic voice.
- Research and cite concrete evidence in support of opinions in written assignments using APA citation format with an awareness of other citation formats.
- Use various exam strategies, including following instructions, planning and outlining, predicting, using context to understand, etc. in order to take a mock IELTS exam.
This course is delivered on-site (or online) in English though instructor-led, classroom-based lectures and discussions, in-class tasks, presentations, videos and student interaction.
English Admission Requirement
The minimum entry requirements vary based on the level.
Level 4 IELTS under 4.0
Level 5 IELTS 4.0
Level 6 IELTS 5.0
Level 7 IELTS 6.0
EAP Program Start Date
2021 & 2022 Weekly Intakes Available
EAP Program Class Schedule
|9AM to 1PM||9AM to 1PM||9AM to 1PM||9AM to 1PM||9AM to 1PM||1:30PM to 5:30PM||1:30PM to 5:30PM||1:30PM to 5:30PM||1:30PM to 5:30PM||1:30PM to 5:30PM|
University/College Pathway Programs
Your Higher Education Goals Start Here- Create Career College (CCC) Pathway
Choose University Pathway with Create Career College (CCC), and get on the path to join a top college or university with courses designed to attain language level requirements, improve vital post-secondary skills, and offer seamless placement into a network of international partner schools.
Pathway to Lakeland
Lakeland College (Lakeland) is a publicly funded post-secondary college in Alberta, Canada, with campuses in Vermilion and Lloydminster.
After a partnership agreement between the governments of Alberta and Saskatchewan in 1975. Lakeland became Canada’s only inter-provincial college serving residents of both provinces. The city of Lloydminster also straddles the Alberta-Saskatchewan border. Lakeland is a member of Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICAN) and the Alberta Rural Development Network.
Lakeland Pathway Requirement
Students who have successfully completed level 6 of the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Course at Create Career College (CCC) will be eligible for admission to Lakeland without having to provide IELTS or any other English test results for their admissions.