How to study and work in Canada?

Vancouver is considered as one of the most competitive job markets in Canada. Being an international student who using English as a second language, have you ever doubted if you are able to land a job in Vancouver?

This blog post will tell you what permits you need to legally work in Canada and provide you with tips on how to secure a job in Canada.

The picture is cited from the internet.

You can work up to 20 hours per week while holding a Study Permit.

According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), if you are holding a study permit while enrolled full-time courses in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), you are eligible to work 20 hours off-campus or on-campus per week. This condition is perfect for junior year college students who want to better experience the local lifestyle and pick up new skills.

Some ideal jobs could include working as a  Bank Teller, Sales Associate, Restaurant Server, Administrative Assistant and Cafe Barista. While working on those jobs, you would gain transferable skills such as customer service, time management and public speaking; these skills will strengthen and better prepare you for positions with high standards of qualification, across industries.

You can work up to 40 hours per week while on a Co-op work term.

Co-operative Education, known as Co-op, is an optional program where students can explore different career options by altering between study semesters and paid, resume-boosting work semesters. It is an exclusive program, funded by the government of Canada to support the employer and student; a part of Co-op students’ income is paid by the government.

You would need to apply for a Co-op work permit.

To be Co-op eligible, students need to enroll in Co-op curriculums, meaning either the specific school program naturally includes Co-op opportunities (such as Hospitality Management Diploma/Certificate, Business Administration Diploma at Create Career College) or the student has a letter from the school indicating the student needs to complete work placements to get their degree (CIC).

At Create Career College, our Co-op curriculum students can have 16- 48 weeks of paid work experience in Canada. The college also organizes hotel tours for the Hospitality Management Diploma/Certificate candidate, so that students can immersively learn about the different service sectors within a hotel. For Business Administration Diploma candidates, the instructor uses real-world cases and teaches students to use official software, better equipping them for the job market.

The picture is provided by our staff.

If you are interested in learning more about Create Career College and how its Co-op program would benefit the students academically and professionally, Please don’t hesitate to email us at

The picture is cited from the internet.

3 Tips on landing a job in Vancouver.

Work harder on your Co-op semester, the employer might give you a return offer 

  • Do you know that Co-op students have high chances of landing a job? It is because, through their Co-op work term, they have been a part of the company: they understand the project, have mastered the Office Software and developed relationships with clients and co-workers. From the employers’ perspective, re-hiring their previous Co-op students would save their expense on training, removing the need to re-onboard them.

Use Linkedin to expand your network and connect recruiters

  • Linkedin is a free job searching and networking tool. It is especially recommended for business students to set up their profile on Linkedin, read about the recruiter, and do small due diligence on the upcoming interviewer before the actual interview.

‘You will miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.’ Don’t be afraid to apply.

  • Although the job market is very competitive in Canada, you should not give up. It is not rare for 100 candidates to fight for 1 job; however, you have no chance at all if you don’t apply for it. Therefore, read about the job description, tailor your resume and just apply for it

Source: Citizenship and Immigration Canada,
* All pictures are from the internet.

Translate »