Current Canadian Immigration Programs for Students and Workers

CCCVancouverPathway to PR

Current Canadian Immigration Programs for Students and Workers

There are many Canadian Immigration Programs, being a student or a worker is the most popular for foreigners nowadays. This blog will give you a general idea of some common Canadian Immigration Programs for students and workers. If you are uncertain about the system, an IRCC registered consultant would be a great choice to go to.

1. Express Entry

In Canadian Immigration programs, EE is the most one for international graduates and workers. EE programs are designed for skilled workers who has a Canadian work experience and language test.

NOC stands for national occupation classification which listed all the occupations in the Canadian labor market. To find out what skill level is your job: NOC

CLB stands for Canadian language benchmark which is used to test your English or French level, and usually includes 4 ability tests: writing, reading, listening, and speaking.

To calculate if you are eligible for Express Entry: Express Entry

Express Entry_01

Quick note: if you are an international student and eligible for PGWP, you can work for one year with skill level 0AB jobs and take an IELTS or CELPIP test, and apply for the CEC pathway.

2. Provincial Nominees

PNP of all Canadian Immigration Programs is the most popular among Canadian graduates. Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) is for workers who have education and work experience to contribute to the economy of their province. However, different provinces have different targets, some may target students of certain programs, some may target workers. There are two options for applying: Express Entry and Paper-based process. Paper-process fees are from $1325 and the processing time is 15-19 months and Express Entry may vary. Visit the BC PNP program and find out if you are eligible: PNP.

3. Quebec-selected skilled Workers

This program is designed for skilled workers who live in Quebec and want to become Canadian Permanent Resident. Since Quebec is a French-speaking region and it has a special process for skilled workers. There are two stages to apply: 1. Apply for a Quebec Selection Certificate 2. Apply to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada for permanent residence. The application fee starts from $1325 and the processing time is 15-17 months.

4. Atlantic Immigration Pilot

This program helps employers in the Atlantic Canada region hire foreign workers and international graduates. For skilled workers and international students, hired by a designated employer will meet the requirement of Canadian PR. There are 3 programs for this pilot. For more information: Atlantic Pilot

5. Caregivers

The Caregivers immigration program is rather complicated, since 2019 a few programs are ended and there are some changes during the ongoing pandemic. However, the caregivers program is still a choice! Make sure your work permit is valid before apply. There are two major ways to immigrate: 1. Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot, 2. Live-in Caregiver Program.

When you apply for Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker, you will need an open work permit to work in Canada temporarily, for Requirements, Visit: Home Child Care.

The Live-in Caregiver Program(LCP) is now closed to new applicants, and you can only apply after at least 2 years of work experience. For all information on the Caregiver program: LCP

6. Start-up Visa

If you are tired of all the requirements and restrictions, you can open your own business! Start-up Visa is designed for entrepreneurs who can create jobs for Canadians and compete on a global scale. Also, finding a designated organization to support your idea is eligible for permanent residency as well. Note: Quebec has a different business immigration program. Who can support your idea? Designated Organizations

7. Self-employed

Being self-employed in the cultural and athletics industry may be a great opportunity to immigrate to Canada. The processing time now for this program is 35 months long and the application fee is $2075. 

8. Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot

This program is designed for skilled foreign workers who live in the following communities. 

9. Agri-Food Pilot

Canada is in need of skilled workers in Agri-food industries, you may apply when you have a minimum of one year of non-seasonal, full-time work in the past 3 years (1560 hours) in one or more eligible industries. Also, it has to be through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Eligibility: Agri-Food Pilot

10. Temporary resident to permanent resident pathway

This is a new temporary PR pathway announced in April 2021, and the number of immigrants accepted is limited. There are 6 streams in this policy and might be the easiest pathway for international students and workers, the pathway will end in November 2021 or the maximum reached.

Temporary resident to permanent resident pathway

11. Permanent residence pathways for Hong Kong residents

There are two streams in this pathway: A. In-Canada Graduates B. Canadian Work Experience. For stream A, Hong Kong residents who graduated from a post-secondary DLI institute, including a diploma (2 years or more), a degree, a graduate or post-graduate diploma, or certificate (1 year or more) can apply for the program in the 3 years of learning. Stream B has the same education requirement as stream A but a one-year full-time work experience is required as well in the 5 years. More information: Hong Kong Pathways

Create Career College is a DLI institution that offers 2-year diploma with Co-op programs which are perfect for Hong Kong Residents pathways! Join our Hospitality and Business Administration Program!