How to Apply for Co-op Work PermitJony
The co-op experience is a full-time work experience over a period of time. During the Co-op, students may work up to 35 or 40 hours a week; thus, they don’t enroll in any classes. If you want to learn more about co-op programs in Canada, click here. In this blog, we will walk you through how to apply for a co-op work permit.
The Co-op work permit is a permit that students need for Co-op, internships, practicum, or work ops. The idea is to help students to gain work experience without conflicting with their studies. Students must have a Co-op work permit before starting their Co-op. There is NO fee associated with the Co-op work permit. The estimated processing time is around 5 months. Therefore, we highly encourage students to apply as soon as possible. Students do NOT need a Co-op position before applying for the permit.
Before applying for a Co-op work permit, you will need to sign-up for a GCkey account if you don’t already have one.
After everything is set-up, and you are logged into your GCkey account follow these steps:
- Scroll down and click “Apply to come to Canada”
- Click on “Visitor visa, study and/or work permit”
- Answer “Work” to “What would you like to do in Canada?”
- Answer “Temporarily-more than six months” to “How Long are you planning to stay in Canada?”
- Continue answering the questions until you get the page with the IMM 5710 form and checklist
- Download the IMM 5710 form directly from the page
- Uploaded the completed form and all of the required documents
- Type your name to finalize the application
Please Note: There are serious consequences for not being truthful on an immigration form. Please only provide truthful information.